Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Matelot


I'm emerging from a slump. (I hope).

Just after Christmas, I was approached by a company who wanted me to do some design work for them. I agreed knowing it would mean I would be unable to continue with my painting for a month. Unfortunately it really threw me off course and I have found it most difficult to get back into the saddle.

I thought I'd use this slump time to announce and support my New Watercolour Innovation. which I did. This has been exciting for me and it has been well received by the art community.

Today I found out I had sold three paintings (Yeehah! and, I think I may have broken the back of the slump with this painting that I call Matelot. It's watercolour, Gouache and Charcoal. 14.75 x 11.75 inches. I think my creative juices are flowing again. It will be interesting to see if I can build on this in the next few days. Wish me luck. If you've been in that artistic slump too lately, keep at it, you will break through in the end.

7 comments:

  1. YOur paintings are amazing!! Love them !! Wonderful works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you alina. Good of you to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HO I do love your colours and style, another great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like the bits of absurd naughty-ness that creep into your work John...what on earth is going on in that window! Nice watercolouring too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Clive, erm, I don't know why I do it but the urge is so strong. I just feel I'm mooning at the viewer to vent some pent-up anger. Maybe I should stop?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm originally English and naughty; don't even try to stop, you'll make me feel better; I've tried it and it's not possible. It's particularly gratifying to see that sort of thing in sombre world of fine arts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I was thinking the same myself Clive. The art world does tend to be quite sombre. You get all of this stuff about what emotion does such and such painting promote, and how does it make you feel. Well, I'm like you, I want to laugh and if I can make other people chuckle too, then the jobs well done.

    I'll have to look out for some of my earlier stuff. I've got a lovely one where a kids doing a full moon at a wedding. Keep tuned.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.