Monday, May 08, 2006

Contemporary Indian Art.

Wow! I have opened a new door in my quest for finding interesting imaginative art. I am currently acquainting myself with Modern Contemporary Art from India. The first thing that struck me was their tradition of creating works of art on paper. They don’t consider it to be a poor substitute to canvas because they know that as far as longevity is concerned, water based media on paper can easily outlast oil on canvas.

The first Indian artists I have been studying are Husain, Souza and Raza. I have only just scraped the surface of what these artists produce but what I have seen so far fills me with excitement and great anticipation. I am looking forward to getting to know these artists better.

Here’s a link where you can read a little about Muqbool Fida Husain and see some examples of his work

From what I have learnt so far Husain is considered to be like an Indian version of our Picasso. He paints imaginative colourful watercolours, which are highly sought after by collectors all over the world. The few that I have seen so far are like a breath of fresh air. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is that makes them so appealing but the pleasure of deconstructing them in my mind to see how they work so well is a pleasure that I am looking forward to immensely. I can’t wait to see how the lessons I learn will impact and affect my own way of painting. Exciting times are ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Visit www.thisishowitshouldbe.blogspot.com to know more about Indian Contemporary Art.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.