Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Less is more.






It's often said with watercolour, Less is more. How true. I suppose one of the reasons why I tend to throw so much into my paintings is because I am not confident with the idea of making do with less. This is a painting which I did today where I've tried to do less. This is a painting which is based on a painting by another of my watercolour heroes, the late Mr Edward Seago. Edward was an absolute master with watercolour and a master of economy of brushstrokes. Every one counted and not a single one is wasted.

At first glance, his watercolours look as though they were dashed off quite quickly, but when you study them in more detail you can appreciate the care and masterly skill that was used to construct the images. There is absolutely no fiddling in his work. If it was possible to convey a sky with just one stroke of the brush, you could be sure that he would do it, but with panache and incredible accuracy. What a brilliant man to try and emulate?

Take a look at some more of the work of Mr Edward Seago His watercolours are towards the bottom.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoy these traditional ones, John. They are like breathing fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your less is more. it's very calm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are some links that I believe will be interested

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
    »

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.