Thursday, July 13, 2006

Tate Britain Visit.

I won't bore you with a blow by blow account of my day at Tate Britain except to say my appreciation of the work of J.M.W. Turner has multiplied tenfold. Having seen some of his sketchbooks, his crude brushes and painting equipment, you have to say, how the bloody hell did he do it? Amazing.

I was particularly struck by the thin smooth surfaced paper he used. No surface texture was evident at all, so it must have been a nightmare to paint on. I was also struck by the lack of colour in a number of his paintings. He appeared to concentrate more on value which was very strong and accurate; and the small size of some of his work also makes you stop and think how absolutely exquisite thay are.

John Constable was OK. It was nice to see some of the icons of British Art in real life, but I'm afraid it was Turner who took my breath away. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

7 comments:

  1. Great Work!!!
    this is a good link you can refer Art Collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing isn't it when you see Turner's painting equipment to realize what he created from that rudimentary kit! I have the latest premixed tubes of colour, good paper, and excellent brushes and still bumble along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, John. Makes me want to take a closer look at such works at my next opportunity.

    ....Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are some links that I believe will be interested

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here are some links that I believe will be interested

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
    »

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.