Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Shanghai 1948.

I've been sorting through some old work that I put away some time ago and found this pencil drawing that I did back in 1980 I think. It's called Shanghai 1948. The inspiration came from a Henri Cartier-Bresson photograph which showed a stream of people who were rushing to get their money out of a Shanghai bank which was in trouble. Not unlike our Northern Rock Bank in Newcastle not so very long ago.



Shanghai 1948. Graphite on Cartridge Paper.


Although this was drawn quite a while ago, I can still vividly remember drawing it with a .9mm automatic pencil with a hi-polymer graphite lead. It took about three days and was hanging in my hall until a couple of years ago.

3 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous drawing with the crush of people, really gets the sense of desperation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, so nice to see a drawing! Hope all's well, John, and looking forward to more w/c posts. Only posting oldies at the moment but hope to get brushes out again soon. No, I never did get that Rapheal sable brush, still have my old crappers, but I will keep you posted if I do. Thanks for reminding me that I actually considered investing in one, sounds out of character, reckless almost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG THAT'S INCREDIBLE!!!!! ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL WORK!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.