Friday, November 21, 2008

Turkey Brook, Hilly Fields, Enfield.

Another watercolour from my playground when I was a young lad. I go back to this area quite frequently during the summer months. There's nothing nicer than setting up my sketching kit on the banks of this brook for a mornings work. Flask of coffee at hand with a few sandwiches and my trustee harmonica. I wonder what people must think when they hear the sound of Greensleeves wafting through the still morning air in this oh! so British scene as I wait for my washes to dry?

I used my normal reduced palette for this painting. Cobalt Blue, Quinacridone Gold, Sap Green, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber and Sepia.

I'll be pleased to get back to using raw sienna again. I'm only using the quinacridone mixed with a touch of burnt sienna, because Winsor and Newton have had problems producing a raw sienna that does not create froth. It can really mess with the painting because the bubbles dry as little dark specks, and I'm almost certain it has an effect on the absorbency of the painting surface.

Anyway, I'm relatively pleased with how this one turned out and I look forward with anticipation to the next one.




Turkey Brook, Hilly Fields, Enfield. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.

1 comment:

  1. Your work is very lovely.

    I found the idea of loading the brush differently was intriguing. Inj oriental ink painting with oriental brushes you can get some of the same effects.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Trine

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.