Sunday, December 14, 2008

Painting from Sketches.

Here are couple of sketches which I like to do on location. Usually, if time allows, I make a small sketch (these are approx. 3.25 x 5 inches) to distill the scene, and take a digital photograph for colour notes.


Forty Hill Lake. Graphite. 3.25 x 5 inches.


Because I am normally scouting for pictorial scenes on my bicycle, I need to pare my equipment down to a sensible minimum. Even so, in comparison to what the likes of Turner had to travel with on his tours, I am still able to carry a mobile phone for communication should the need arise, a digital camera, a small toolkit for punture repairs, sustenance by way of coffee and cheese and pickle sandwiches, small radio, wet weather gear and sketch pads etc.

For my sketches, I use a spiral bound A5 pad of 135gsm cartridge paper, a .9mm Pentel automatic propelling pencil with Hi-Polymer leads and a kneadable eraser.


Trent Park. Graphite. 3.25 x 5 inches.


Technology has spoilt us rotten with the tools and comforts that our old masters would have thought impossible in their time. I always wonder what art Turner would be doing had in lived in todays world with all the convenieces he could wish for. Would it have made for better art? I wonder. If Da Vinci had had access to the computing power of the modern home, what on earth would he have been able to do? If Sir Christpher Wren had the same, what architecture could we be marvelling at today. Strange isn't it, give an architect of today all the computing power he could wish for and he turns out a glass box. I'm puzzled.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful sketches John. Ultimately I think creation is an introverted activity. Computers etc. can help with making ideas reality but trying to use them for creativity tends to make those glass cubes or other things that computer programs can do at a click.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John
    That is clever drawing and such a small images.
    I am afraid my lack of patience prevents me from even contemplating such work.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your watercolours.
    Have a good Chrismas
    Regards
    Trevor

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.