Monday, December 01, 2008

Turkey Brook near the Bandstand, Hilly Fields, Enfield.

Another painting from my series of paintings based on Turkey Brook in Enfield.

Interestingly, I found the following information on Wikipedia, "The brook named from the street which is recorded as Tokestreete 1441, Tuckhey strete 1610, Tuckey street 1615, Turkey street 1805, probably 'street of houses (i.e hamlet) associated with a family called Toke(y) from Middle English strete".

I have known Turkey Street for many years, but I thought that the street was named after the brook but it seems to be the other way round.



Turkey Brook near the Bandstand, Hilly Fields, Enfield.

Watercolour 7 x 5 inches - 19 x 14 cm's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.