Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hard Times are gonna Rain.

Phew! The news has been incredibly depressing lately. What with the global financial situation and the poor people losing their jobs left right and centre. There's a big black cloud hanging over us all. I have been finding it very difficult to work with all this happening around me. I'm sure that the people who would normally buy my art have got far more pressing needs for their money now.

I have still got to keep painting though otherwise I'll just go round the bend. I may get a little money for these paintings when I put them on eBay but I'm not expecting a great deal of response in these times. More importantly it gives me something else to think about. We artists are lucky. We have the power of imagination which can put us somewhere else when we get into that painting zone but sometimes getting into that zone takes an enormous effort.



Lakeside Mist. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.





King and Tinker Way. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.





Grey Day on the Ridgeway. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.

5 comments:

  1. Just "discovered" your blog from another one and am very pleased - why, well, because you seem to have mastery over greens (a color that eludes me). I know you've painted these wet-in-wet mostly but it's not that; it's knowing when to leave the color alone, when to add some distinction and when to let the colors behind/in front of the green shine through. Well done! Do keep painting - afterall, what else can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those with less imagination should put a few of your paintings up - they are perfect for imagining you're somewhere else!
    I love the magical quality about them.

    I had a very favorite spot when I was a kid - it was on the Mississippi, no one knew where to find me when I was there and I could be anybody at any place (well - maybe not the desert, but any place near a river) in any time period.

    Your paintings always remind me of being in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello John
    I know what you mean and I feel the same way. Lets keep our chins up mate.
    Your work is outstanding so thats all that counts.
    Best Regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work as always. The financial crisis is inspiring me to paint pictures of crisis. Perhaps your grey day is leaning that way? The computer games I write are not selling, this will be my first month in about 4 years where the bills outweigh the income. My solution is to charge harder into my artwork. When the dogs chase it is a time to run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I say. What nice people you are for visiting my blog and leaving such thoughtful and encouraging comments. Thank you so much. I was beginning to feel a bit, well, you know... You've all really perked me up and inspired me to just doggedly carry on the best I can. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.