Sunday, February 08, 2009

Ala Prima.

Todays output is two more ala prima watercolours. For those that don't know ala prima means "in one sitting". The way I work is to soak the watercolour paper and work the painting until the paper is dry. This means I paint the wet-in-wet passages first and as the paper is drying, I apply what is called the dry-brush brushstrokes. Although the brush isn't really dry, it's just not dripping with paint. The whole process takes a couple of hours on average but very often I need to rehearse the painting process in my head prior to putting brush to paper, in order that the painting flows from beginning to end without breaks.



Hadley Thickett Stream. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.



Early Morning Frost. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.

3 comments:

  1. You have your Harmonica music up on your blog now:) I'm enjoying La Mer as I write this, thank you.

    Oh, beautiful painting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello John
    Your own distinquishing style is here again for our pleasure. Only watercolours done in one hit can produced this mood. You are a master of your trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming from you Trevor, I take that as a tremendous compliment. Anyone else reading these comments, please take a look at Trevors blog and you'll see exactly what I mean. Trevor is THE Master.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.