Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bulls Cross Lane.

Todays painting is Bulls Cross Lane. Yes more trees and foliage. I used to hate having to paint trees, but then what is a landscape painting without them? I think trees and clouds have been the most difficult things that I've had to master so far. They look so random in their makeup but it's only when you study them for a long time that you slowly come round to the notion that there is a formula to both subjects and you need to use that formula each time. When I first started painting I thought that all I needed to do was flick the brush around in an arty way and they would magically appear. It takes hard work and lots of practice in reality and an awful lot of observation too.

I've been looking at a number of art blogs lately and have come to the conclusion that I am what I would term an instinctive painter. I don't plan and I don't think about what technique to use and whether I should juxtapose this particular colour against that or whether this tree should be in the golden triangle. I just have to do it. If I stopped to think about it, I would either convince myself that artistically it is either wrong or impossible to do. I realise that in order to get to this level in painting, I did need to do the ground work first long ago. That meant giving due consideration to each brush stroke and colour placement. Now I think I have gone beyond that and earnt my wings. My next task is to be able to play music on my harmonica instinctively. I hope it doesn't take quite as long.


Bulls Cross Lane. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.

4 comments:

  1. I believe you're right, John, you have earned your wings from what you've done in the past to learn all this. Now you make it look easy and totally intuitive but I bet there is a lot of thought buried there that you don't realize is there. Anyway, your paintings are gorgeous and you know your trees. They still stump me (no pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rhonda. It's good to get your support and good luck with your own trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John
    thats a very nice one...
    thanks for dropping by my blog.I have posted some interesting info
    about india today..hop in if you would like to see it!
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful painting John! with a calming effect.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.