Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Dusk and Sunset Series.

Another two watercolours from my Dusk and Sunsets series. Painting dark is quite a departure when using watercolour. As you'll probably know we watercolourists normally paint the lighter passages first and paint darker as the painting progresses. The trick is not to paint so dark that the white of the paper is lost through the thin layers of paint where light is required. After painting the wet-in-wet light background for the painting I then paint (with trepidation) using a strong dark mix of my next colour and just hope and prey that it doesn't flow or bloom in areas that I don't want it to.

Knowing the paper and paint is so very important to us artists. We need to judge the wetness of the paper, the absorbency of the paper and also how any applied paint will behave. There are so many factors that come in to play that I sometimes surprise myself when I actually produce a painting. Sometimes it can take two or three attempts at a painting before it can be considered a success.



Fallow Stream. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.



Forty Hill Lake. watercolour 7 x 5 inches.

2 comments:

  1. Hello John
    Very much your signature.
    Beautiful colours and atmosphere.
    I love to see your watercolours
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just discovered you from the Breathing Poetry site, and I am so happy to have found you. I will follow this blog religiously, because I feel I have much to learn from you. I only started doing watercolors a few months ago, and I am really taken by this medium. You have mastered it. You the master, me the student.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.