Monday, February 02, 2009

A Public Blogpology.

I am so sorry.

Yesterday, I had the misfortune of having a problem with eBay and PayPal.

I sold seven of my watercolours to my special eBay collectors and I hit an eBay/PayPal nightmare. I would like to publicly give my profuse apologies to Ross, June, Craig and Dave for the inconvenience this has caused you.

You all made your PayPal payments immediately after the auction, yet something wasn't reading right at my end of the transaction. After doing a little digging I was asked by PayPal to get you to cancel your payments and for me to issue a PayPal request for payment. Which some of you have already done. Thank you.

I now know what happened and in a nutshell this is it:

I had to change my email account because my previous provider (Lycos) were shutting down.

I informed eBay and PayPal of my new address and they both verified it as OK.

I have a tried and tested template which I use whenever I put my art for sale on eBay. Embedded in that template is the email address which PayPal should use for receiving payments.

I changed that to my new email address BUT when I add an image to the template, the template refreshes and puts back my old address. I didn't notice that this was happening and it affected all my auctions for Sunday 1st February and the auctions that were going to end on the 7th February.

Subsequently, when you made your payment, the payment was being sent to my old email address for which there was no longer a PayPal account in existence. This showed up on "My eBay" as a problem requiring attention. Hence PayPal's request that those payments should be cancelled.

I have had to cancel next weeks auctions otherwise the whole cycle would start again. However I am hoping to re-list them early this evening. It's annoying because I already had bids on them all and a good number of watchers. But, I didn't want the sale of those paintings to be the cause of problems for my customers so I was forced to start again.


So in essence I sincerely apologise to my eBay customers for the inconvenience this has caused you. I know only too well how unfriendly the workings of eBay and PayPal can be when things don't go quite they way we would like them to. Please be assured that I am doing my utmost to resolve these issues and just as soon as we have some staff in our post office (they can't get in because of the snow) your paintings will be on their way to you.

Thank you for being so understanding and patient. I will do my best to ensure that this will never happen again on my auctions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John
    That sounds like a nightmare.
    Hope its sorted.
    Well done on the sales.
    Mine are grim at the moment.
    I have not tried internet sales as yet and am quite scared of it.
    I suppose it is the way forward for artist.
    Kind Regards

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.