Thursday, March 05, 2009

Ave Maria.

Been learning a new tune over the last few days in between painting sessions and while waiting for the paint to dry. Ave Maria by Schubert has always been one of my favourite pieces of music and I know I could never do it justice on the harmonica but I had to have a go anyway.

I often go painting and sketching in a place called Hilly Fields in Enfield. There's a place called "The Fourteen Arches" which is a huge arched construction comprising fourteen arches across a valley where Turkey Brook runs. It allows a railway to cross a small valley. The accoustics in the arches are amazing. When the spring comes, I'm dying to get over there to try playing Ave Maria in the arches with the echoes off the arch walls.

If you'd like to hear what it sounds like, turn your speakers on and click here. Something nice to listen to while you look at my latest two watercolours.


Turkey Brook in the Mist. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.



Mile and a Quarter Wood. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.

4 comments:

  1. very good paintings. love the themes & subtle colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John
    Tried the sound clip but couldnt get it to play at my end. Drat!
    However I do know the tune and sang in my head whilst enjouyingf your paintings.
    As always, masterful
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful playing John. I can almost imagine some American civil war soldier playing your Ave Maria at the ragged end of a battle.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.