Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saddlers Mill Brook

Watercolour can be truly exasperating at times. Just as soon as you think you may have cracked it, it throws a curved ball at you and you're back to square one again. I don't think I'll ever be able to say I have true mastery over this medium and then again I don't know anybody that has. Even Turner had his off days, you can see examples from some of the false starts that he made in the Tate Archives. Maybe that's what drives us to keep going, the thought that no matter what you do, you'll never crack it but hey! let's make the most of it, happy accidents and all. Just a slight change in temperature or humidity or even mood can affect the way a painting turns out. It's a bugger but I wouldn't have it any other way. You never know what you're going to get at the end of your painting session and nine times out of ten it wasn't what you had in mind at the start but it will nearly always be a surprise.


Saddlers Mill Brook. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.