Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Revisiting the Watercolour Charger Invention.




There has been a lot of traffic on my Watercolour Charger website over the last couple of years but just recently it has intensified to fever pitch. I put it down to the fact that people are finding the demonstration that I put onto YouTube and the word is now getting out and into the art community. I thought I'd just mention it again on my blog for those who may have missed it first time round.


The image above shows what the Watercolour Chargers I made look like. I do not sell Watercolour Chargers and you can't buy them but what I do is give you complete instructions to make your own. There is no charge it is all free, plus my site also has tutorials on how they can be used. There is a link further down in this article that will take you there.


What is the Watercolour Charger?

The Watercolour Charger is a simple device that provides the user with far greater control of the watercolour medium than is currently possible.

It provides a constant supply of clean water that is instantly replenished from a reservoir. The water is made available on a narrow capillary cradle (the Charging Cradle) that is designed so any part of a brush can be charged with water. Imagine a thin ribbon of water floating in mid-air, the brush is charged with this water in the horizontal plane.

By monitoring how the belly and the tip of the brush swells and shines, the user can gauge how much water the brush is absorbing. You can't do this by immersing the brush using the normal dipping method. This can greatly help in the painting process. How can you expect to control watercolour on the paper, if you can't control it on the brush first?

A Charger will not necessarily make you a better artist, but a more competent handler of the medium. If you don't need to overcome problems, the painting process will be more fluid. Your paintings will benefit and the watercolour painting experience will be a more enjoyable and satisfying creative endeavour.

If you'd like to know more then visit my Watercolour Charger site. You'll find everything you need there.
Just to give you an idea of what can be achieved by using a Watercolour Charger, here are some examples of paintings that I made using one.


Electron

Nucleus


Basically, these were exercises in refining the gradation process. Take a close look and try to work out how you could achieve gradations like those above using your standard set-up and techniques without greater control of the medium.

I include a short video demonstration that I made to show how the Charger is used. I promise I wll make a better quality video once I have ironed out some of the technical difficulties.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that brilliant demo John! You save paint AND brushes with that because you never get paint in the ferrule, only on the page AND you can do smooth gradients in small areas that normally need wet-in-wet. I'm convinced. I wonder if I can make a charger with bits n pieces I've got lying around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enfin, eu ce que je cherchais! J'ai vraiment apprécier chaque petit bout. Heureux je suis tombé sur cet article! sourire, je vous ai sauvé de vérifier de nouvelles choses que vous postez.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.