Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Forty Hall Woods.

Phew! That was a close one. I woke up this morning and my fingers had turned to jelly. No matter how I tried, just couldn't make any meaningful strokes of colour on my paper. Something went wrong and I couldn't identify what it was. As the day progressed, I could feel my temperament slow down and I gradually got back into the zone. My fingers returned to normal, I felt creative once again and painted this picture.

Forty Hall Woods. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.

Once again simplicity came to my rescue. I used just two brushes and put all my others out of reach so I couldn't get at them, plus, I thought of the work of  Edward Seago and how he may have tackled this scene.

In this painting I re-introduced New Gamboge into my pallette. I used to use a lot of raw sienna but when the manufacturer had problems where it used to get uncontrollably frothy I switched to quinacridone gold which is a good transparent colour but I find it doesn't mix well to produce a wide range of greens. Hence my trials with new gamboge again. Let's see how it goes.



3 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    Just happen to cross this blog and can't stop myself from looking into such beautiful watercolors! you are super talented Artist!It's a joy to see all your creative work! I have joined your blog !

    Joyee

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.