Thursday, May 05, 2011

Turner's Skies.

I love painting skies. Turner showed us how to paint a watercolour sky properly. His skies are totally unbelievable in that I really don't know how he was able to do them.

We have all the modern aids to help us by way of reference material, examples, photos etc. etc. But all he had was his sketchbook and memory.

I like to limber up with a sky and remember that Roland Hilder used to say we need to paint a sky each day. Good advice if you can keep it up.

However, here is my sky from this evening. I used a photograph for reference because believe it or not, we have had no clouds for a few days now. Well, at least, not any dramatic clouds or skies.



Watercolour Sky, 5th May 2011 11 x 7.5 inches.

1 comment:

  1. That's an amazing painting! It doesn't really look like a sky to me though... more like a heaven or something else awe inspiring. Turner's watercolours are simply incredible. Far better than his oil paintings I think, yet he's mostly known for those. It's like Paganini being famous for his trumpet work!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.