Monday, August 29, 2011

I failed miserably.

Salmons Brook. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches


I'm not talking in riddles but you need to read my previous post to see why I failed. I'm going to explore my intimate landscapes further I think. I'm sure I can improve upon them. I had a mess around with my painting over the last week and have come to the conclusion that I am simply not intelligent enough to do abstract. I've been experimenting with portraits so that is another area I may develop in tandem with my landscapes but I haven't made my mind up fully yet, I need to envisage a series before I commit further..

Anyway, this is today's painting and I hate to say it but I enjoyed painting it. I decided not to use my sepia so reduced my palette even further which added to the challenge.

4 comments:

  1. John, this is fabulous and full of light! I think you are just being too hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved your paintings ,John.If you are bored with 'routine'...why not explore some new places,create some 'new' landscapes?You are a brilliant artist, I would love to see more of your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is early days yet, so don't give up on that seed of an idea, that desire to explore a subject further.

    I am about to embark on a similar route and plan to do lots of drawings, investigating other artists work, experimenting with mediums, working up small areas into larger pieces, making an on site sketch of a scene in a limited time period, then reworking it larger in the studio etc. etc.

    Feel free to pinch these ideas and don't give up. I think you have it in you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie. Thanks but if I'm not critical who else will be.

    Arti. Thank you, I'm working on it.

    Rolina. Good luck with your investigations. It can be quite difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.