Friday, October 14, 2011

R.I.P. Little Woger Salmon.


Woger Salmon. 1996.
Today has been one of the saddest days of my life. My bestest friend ever has been taken from me after a short and sudden illness. I had to take him to the vet today and it was decided that it was in his best interest to relieve him from pain and anxiety with an injection.

Woger and his sister Weggie came into our lives as rescued cats from the South Mimms Cat Rescue Centre approx sixteen years ago. They were only kittens when we got them and they both looked like they were wearing little dinner jackets although Weggie was always a little fluffier than Woger.

Woger was a terrific little cat and loved nothing more than to follow me around and get involved in anything I was doing. He was always there and I was constantly reminded that no matter what the circumstances, he would be there to keep me company. He was my little assistant and his mere presence ensured that our surroundings were always peaceful and relaxed. He never seemed to age in my eyes and always had that kitten appearance in his cute little face.

I don't recall ever being angry with him, he was so well behaved and never gave any cause for concern. He never had toilet accidents in the house and always took care with his cleanliness and grooming. Woger was always busy, busy, busy running in and out to the garden and getting involved in everything. I will sorely miss getting him down from the garage roof (I don't think he had a head for heights) and trying to get him in at night when he would hide in the garden.

I spent lot of time with him recently due to his worsening condition. I would lay next to him and stroke him gently in the hope I was giving him some comfort but I think he was giving me the comfort more than anything. I think he knew.

It's going to be hard getting used to him not being around any longer, little Weggie realises something is different in the household and I'm sure she will miss him too when she realises what has happened.

I know it sounds daft but little Woger meant so very much to me. His short life, unconditional love and friendship has enriched my own life so much over the last sixteen or so years it's difficult to look forward to the future without him by my side.

Autumn is depressing enough without the thought that I won't be snuggling up with Woger on my lap in front of the fire in the cold depths of the coming winter.

What a sad, sad day it is for me today, Friday 14th October 2011.

The little painting above is a sketch I made of Woger when he was new to our household in the Autumn of 1996.

7 comments:

  1. John, I am so sorry to read of your loss of Woger. You must be sad indeed. I hope the happy memories from all of your years together brings you some comfort in the upcoming days.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, my heart goes out to you. I TOTALLY understand how you feel. I've always had cats in my life and it's always so hard when it's their time to go....even harder when you have to authorise the injection. Your words have brought a tear to my eye this early Sat morning....but I know your little kitty will always be in your heart to comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. I'm sure that expressing your thoughts in blog and art forms will help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ashazart @Maggie @Mark @Samantha. Thanks for your kind comments.

    I'm shocked at how I'm re-acting. I never dreamt for a minute that it would hit me so hard. I'm either ultra-sensitive or a complete wuss, I don't know.

    I lost my Dad last year and I nursed my Mum through her throat cancer down in Cornwall in 2007, so I thought I was hardened to the feelings of loss of loved ones.

    Apart from a short while when he was younger, I've never been separated from either Woger or Weggie. They've always been together as brother and sister and now Weggie appears to be looking for him. It's so sad to see her pining and smelling all the places where Woger liked to lie and watch the world go by.

    She's constantly walking around looking for him and, I suppose, crying. We're having to make more of a fuss of her now to help her through this sad time. I feel so sad for her too.

    This mourning is different from the others I've experienced, I can't quite make it out yet.

    Thanks for your thoughts though. I'll see you when I've sorted this one out. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, having lost my cats over the past few years (and both my parents) I know exactly how you feel. In fact, the passing of the last cat was the most traumatic, it was as if all the deaths had come back to me in one go and the grief was overwhelming (I am still taking the tablets). Like you, I thought I had toughened, but now I understand that really we don't get tougher at all :(

    In time the good memories begin to outweigh the sad ones, I promise.

    Wishing you all the best (and Weggie too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rolina. Your words mean a lot to me. Yeah, we don't toughen up do we? Maybe that's a good thing? I don't know.

    I hope you are off the tablets soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.