Monday, January 07, 2013

Painting which took my breath away.

When was the last time you saw a piece of artwork that truly took your breath away? For me it was a small Turner watercolour no more than 6 x 6 inches at the Tate Britain. It was just a field of gorse and heather on a coastal path. Not a great deal to look at but on closer scrutiny, the execution was absolutely sublime. It's something that I've aimed for but know I'll never achieve.

Why was it so good? It was painted using the crude tools and materials of that time onto a woven writing paper which was smooth and very unforgiving. Any mistakes would have been obvious and I couldn't see any. I must try and find the name of that piece and post it here.

8 comments:

  1. Any links to it? Would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried looking for it on the Tate site Steven but he has over 30,000 drawings, sketches and works there. I'm slowly working my way through them. I'll post it when I find it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries... just thought that anything that stopped you in your tracks must be worth seeing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m also looking forward to have a look at this painting! Hope you will find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the painting either - Turner's one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking but I just can't find it yet. There are 40,000 or so to sort through. :) and :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. we are waiting john! :) foot tapping away. sound like a great picture

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.