Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Hadley Brook

I painted this tonight using a 3/4 inch flat synthetic, a No8 round synthetic and a No4 rigger synthetic. The 3/4 flat has been my go to brush just lately. I don't mind abusing it because I know it will be fairly cheap to replace. I have used sables in the past and find they have a brilliant point and and good spring but they just didn't retain the point for any length of time. I was talking to an artist who was a member of the Royal Institute a few years back and he was telling me he was going to use Turners actual brushes at a special ceremony at the RI. I would have loved to have been there to examine them up close and see what they were made with. I'll have to research this and see what his thoughts were on this.

Hadley Brook. Watercolour 7 x 5 inches.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this analysis of brushes, John. I, too, prefer synthetic bristles and I have favorite sizes as well. Mostly, I use brilliants and filberts most and rounds least when I paint in oil. The opposite is true when I paint in watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely painting John, and can't wait to find out what you discover about Turners brushes!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking time to comment on my blog. It's good to get feedback, I really do appreciate it.